Friday, July 5, 2013

The Foo Fighters Keep Me Sane



On stressful days I need something to help me relax and unwind.  Since I don't think I want to dabble in illegal drug use and becoming an alcoholic can be rather costly, I choose music as my form for relaxation. More specifically, the Foo Fighters.  Even more specifically, Dave Grohl.  I am sure I drive my husband crazy with my Dave Grohl "obsession", if you would even exactly call it an obsession, lol, (OK, maybe a little), so I will just share some of it here with all of you.




Dave was born January 14, 1969 in Warren, Ohio.  A short 6 years later his family moved to Virginia.  At the age of 12 he grew tired of taking guitar lessons and from that point on was self taught. By the time he reached high school he was teaching himself the drums.  He was in a string throughout high school and at the age of 17 joined up with the band Scream. While in Scream he was introduced to Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic...he soon joined up as the drummer of Nirvana. 



Dave had been writing songs for several years and in the beginning of joining Nirvana he struggled to find his place in the band.  He kept most of his song writing to himself at the time due to being is awe of Cobain's song writing talents.  He instead recorded the songs himself and released them on a cassette titled Pocketwatch in 1992, under the name "Late!".  His songwriting contributions to Nirvana increased over the last couple of years. After the death of Cobain, Dave wasn't sure exactly what to do...so he did what he does best, he hit the studio and layed down a quick 15 tracks.  Of those 15 tracks, Grohl played every single insturment, (with the exception of one song). 


Dave's many talents put him in a good place.  He had many offers for work, such as Tom Petty and Heartbreakers, once rumored was Pearl Jam. None of which he accepted of course.  His demo was stirring up a lot of interest from the labels, and he signed with Capitol.  Not wanting it seem like he was launching a solo career he quickly gathered up some talent that would known as the Foo Fighters in 1995.  The professionally mixed the album Grohl recorded and the wheels were in motion. 



Since that time and nearly 8 albums later The Foo Fighters have come a long way.  Dave has proven himself over and over as strong force in Rock music.  He is truly the epitome of talented musician, playing a range of instruments (self taught to boot), inspiring song writer and awesome performer.  He has put his creative genius to work by helping out Veruca, Salt Queens of the Stone Age, Tonacious D just to name a few.  He has co-hosted, advocated and fundraised.  He is an all around good guy who is generous enough to share is many talents with the world.  He is humbled, level headed and has great philosophies on life and the ways of the world. 

Well, that is my ramblings on my favorite...the music that calms me, relaxes me and carries away my stress.  And Dave Grohl being so hot is just the bonus. Here's a few more pics for your enjoyment! 





No comments:

Post a Comment